Wednesday, January 17, 2007
  Job Hunting - Trial By Fire
I've recently had to start searching for a job and the skill everyone wants the most is the one I've had the least on the job experience with. Actually, I've had no on the job experience with .NET! I picked up a copy of Visual Studio 2005 in the last part of 2006 for the purpose of learning the new development tools that everyone is loving so much. Its great and coupled with the very awesome C# language I just had to give it a look. I never realized that in 2007 it would be the center of my world and the focus of all my attention.


.NET Mania

Since I posted my resume on Monster.com and Dice.com I've had about 15 contacts concerning .NET and 2 out of state contacts concerning my other history which was primarily *NIX based databasing coupled with custom PHP, PERL and Javascript applications. Nobody local is doing anything not .NET. I can't move so what do you do?

Learn .NET, C#.NET, ADO.NET and ASP.NET

I'm a professional and I know that if you need something you get it and learn it ASAP. Luckily I'd already familiarized myself with C# and using Visual Studio 2005. This was fairly easy because I had a background in Visual Studio 6, Visual Basic, C and Java from college. I can also read SQL like its plain english. However the use of the .NET framework and the subtleties of the environment are taking some getting used to. Unfortunately this is going to likely cost me some of my first opportunities since I'm still somewhat in the transition phase. No worries since I likely need the interview experience and I may get lucky with someone realizing what an adaptive guy I am.

Blessing in Disguise

This change of career occurance likely couldn't have come at a better time. All of these companies are making the transition to .NET using the newer versions of the language and they've got to scramble to train or hire people. I'm doing self training with 5 recent purchases from Amazon on .NET, ASP and C# and at least a month of daily rigorous study and practice in using the environment. I'm hoping to develop a website and an application as my tests to gauge my experience. There are a ton of communities out there and help is available. I just can't wait to get a chance to mix it up and contribute to a company!

Exciting times!
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Jerry Odom's Blogger Blog
Blog by a Baton Rouge, Louisiana native and avid Internet user. I talk about my life, Louisiana, 1969 Ford Mustangs, Programming and more.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States

I'm a 27 year old Internet professional who enjoys learning new things and anything that makes life Interesting. I write various database applications, browser applications and website software. More about me is a Jerry Odom's Website

My Other Pages
MDO Massage Therapy
Jerry's Wikipedia Page
JerryOdom.com
Baton Rouge SEO Site
DMOZ Profile
Slashdot.org Page

Baton Rouge Sites
Best of Baton Rouge
My Favorite Baton Rouge Hair Salon
Archives
October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / June 2007 / August 2007 / November 2008 / May 2010 / September 2010 / December 2015 /


Powered by Blogger